This antique amethyst ring has an interesting provenance - it is a Victorian bishop’s ring and it is a large size is due to the fact is was originally designed to be worn over a pontifical glove. Traditionally, a bishop was given a ring at his consecration and came to symbolise the ‘marriage’ of the bishop to the church. The style of a bishop’s ring has almost always been very large, gold, stone-set ring and Roman Catholic bishops traditionally have their ring set with an amethyst. It was customary for a layperson or lesser clergy to kiss the ring in a show of piety, loyalty and utmost respect (baciamano in Italian)
This ring is wonderfully ornate, with a large oval amethyst set in a buttery yellow gold bezel setting, and a hand carved floral gallery on the reverse. A halo of rose cut diamonds surrounding the amethyst finish the design.
MATERIALS: 18ct gold, approximately 16.17cts of amethyst. The rose cut diamonds are approximately 2.3mm diameter.
DIMENSIONS: The head of the ring measures 2.4cm wide x 3.1cm tall. Weight: 16.9g
FINGER SIZE: USA: 16 / UK: Z+5. This ring can be re-sized upon a quote. Please get in touch to discuss sizing.
ERA / HALLMARKS: Victorian era, c. 1880, unmarked.